Im so excited to share this delicious recipe with you today!
Created by Angie Cowen from Love life and Gluten free….
Gluten Free Apple Crumble:
As well as being a tasty and warming dessert, I love having any leftover crumble for breakfast through winter. It’s warm both in temperature and with its gentle use of ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Gluten free, grain free, vegan
- 7 large red apples, peeled (approx 1kg)
- 6 Medjool dates, large soft variety – pitted
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon (ground)
- Zest of 1 medium lemon
- Pinch of Himalayan crystal or Celtic sea salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp tapioca or true arrowroot to thicken
- 3 tbsp tapioca or true arrowroot
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar or maple syrup (real)
- 3/4 cup roughly ground almonds
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tsp natural vanilla essence
- Peel and core apples, then cut into rough 1-2cm cubes. Place apples in medium/large saucepan with about 1/2 cup water and gently simmer, covered on a low heat. Rotate apples bottom to top every so often until apples are just tender but not mushy (usually 10-15 minutes once water is steaming). Add berries and mix evenly. Once berries are warmed through, add tapioca and stir well (you will see the liquid thicken). Cook for a further minute, stirring often, then remove from heat. At this stage, preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Finely chop dates and combine them with lemon zest, ginger and cinnamon and mix well. Toss through the apples and set aside.
- Combine coconut sugar, tapioca, almonds, desiccated coconut, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Melt coconut oil and add to dry ingredients along with the vanilla essence. Combine so that the oil is evenly distributed amongst the mix.
- Place apple mix evenly in medium pie dish. Spread crumble mix over top of apple and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crumble topping is lightly browned.